The establishment of Quality Enhancement Cell is one of the many initiatives taken by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan to improve the quality of higher education in Pakistan. The QEC department has been established in the Private and Public Sector Universities and Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) of Pakistan and they are working under the guidance of HEC. The Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) has been established at IMS in 2011. It started functioning under the supervision of Dr. Khalid Ranjha, Rector of Institute of Management Sciences. Moreover, the great heed has been paid to both internal and external quality assurance models and the following structure is in place at IMS.
QEC aims to strengthen the higher education sector of Pakistan by setting up an exemplary Quality Assurance mechanism that shall be congruent with the national and international practices.
QEC is committed to assure and enhance the quality of higher education at IMS with respect to good teaching strategies, sound infrastructure, outcome based education, positive students’ perception, valid programs assessment tools and a learning environment conducive to research activities.
- To collate data through feedback forms and course outlines/ plans from the respective departments
- To conduct trainings on regular basis for the Program & Assessment Team in order to generate awareness regarding self-assessment process
- To assess the current status of educational provision at departmental level by holding meetings with the Program & Assessment Team
- To critically examine the data and formulate recommendations in consultation with the concerned Head/Chairperson/ In-charge of the department
- To follow the progress of the corrective actions highlighted in the Self Assessment Report (SAR) by the respective departments
- To affirm whether curriculum, subject and staff development, research and other scholarly activities are conducted as per the HEC criteria
- To facilitate the respective departments in getting accreditation certificate from the councils/ bodies prescribed by Higher Education Commission
- To acquire the membership of the international agencies working in the domain of quality assurance
- To verify whether Institutional Performance Evaluation Standards (IPES) devised for the betterment of Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) are in accordance with the HEC guidelines
- To make sure that the institute abides by the rules & regulations set by HEC in terms of faculty appointment, admission to MS/M.Phil and Ph.D programs and last but not the least, plagiarism detection service by utilizing Turnitin Software
Q.E.C. Functions (As prescribed by HEC)
- The Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) is to be headed by the Director QEC and will be reporting directly to the Vice Chancellor. She is to be the correspondent with the outside bodies.
- QEC is responsible for promoting public confidence that the quality and standards of the award of degrees are enhanced and safeguarded.
- QEC is responsible for the review of quality standards and the quality of teaching and learning in each subject area.
- QEC is responsible for the review of academic affiliations with other institutions in terms of effective management of standards and quality of programs.
- QEC is responsible for defining clear and explicit standards as points of reference to the reviews to be carried out. It should also help the employees to know as to what they could expect from candidates.
- QEC is responsible to apply Pakistan Qualification Framework for curriculum development. The Faculty is also appointed according to the revised HEC Eligibility Criteria.
- QEC is responsible to develop program specifications. These are standard set of information clarifying what knowledge, understanding, skills and other attributes a student will have developed on successfully completing a specific program.
- QEC is responsible to develop quality assurance processes and methods of evaluation to affirm that the quality of provision and the standard of awards are being maintained and to foster curriculum, subject and staff development, together with research and other scholarly activities.
- QEC is responsible to ensure that the university’s quality assurance procedures are designed to fit in with the arrangements in place nationally for maintaining and improving the quality of Higher Education.
- QEC is responsible to develop procedures for the following:
- Approval of new program
- Annual monitoring and evaluation including program monitoring, faculty monitoring and student perceptions
- Departmental review
- Student feedback
- Employer feedback
- Quality Assurance of Bachelor’s, Master’s, M. Phil and PhD degree programs
- Subject review
- Institutional assessment
- Program specifications
- Qualification framework
- Approval of new programs
- Annual monitoring and evaluation including program monitoring, faculty monitoring, and student’s perception.
- Departmental review
- Student feedback
- Employer feedback
It should be provided to the QEC for the assurance of the academic quality. It is a standard practice to maintain the course file, lesson plan, time table and schedule for the session work etc.
It should be filled by each faculty member after verification by the respective chairperson and to be submitted to the QEC
Course Completion certificate
It should be provided to QEC to ensure that the entire academic faculties have completed their course file ensuring the completion of contents as per course plan
Attendance Registers of the faculty & students
Regular attendance is must for all the students to appear in the examinations. Moreover, attendance register of each faculty member duly signed by the respective chairperson should be provided to the QEC
The chairpersons are supposed to provide all the assignments to the QEC
Question Papers (after exam collection)
It should be provided to QEC to check out the quality of paper setting which is to be done according to the format of the course outline
Examination system at departmental level may be monitored by the QEC Team
Self Assessment Mechanism
Self Assessment Mechanism is adopted as instructed by the QAA in accordance with the QAA Self Assessment Manual. A Program Team (consisting of three senior faculty members) for each teaching department has been formulated. The responsibility of the PTs is to compile Self Assessment Report for each degree program and submit it to Quality Enhancement Cell. The process of compilations of SARs is implemented in the different phases:
Initial Phase of Compilation of SARs
In the initial phase of the compilation of Self Assessment Report, the following departments were selected as Model Departments:
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Management Science
QEC Feedback Forms
- Student Course Evaluation Questionnaire
- Faculty Course Review Report
- Survey of Graduating Students
- Research Student Progress Review Form
- Faculty Survey Form
- Department Offering PhD programs
- Alumni Survey
- Employer Survey
- Faculty Resume
- Teacher Evaluation Form
- Faculty Evaluation by Dean/ Chairperson (Additional)
- Employee Performance Evaluation Sheet (Additional)
- Faculty Interview Questionnaire (Additional)
- Faculty Demo Evaluation Form (Additional)
Although graduating from an accredited program does not guarantee jobs or licensure for individuals, it may facilitate such achievement. It reflects the quality by which an educational institution or a program conducts its business. It speaks to a sense of public trust, as well as to professional quality.
As a student : Accreditation provides assurance that the program in which you are enrolled or are considering enrolling is engaged in continuous review and improvement of its quality, that it meets nationally endorsed standards in the profession, and that it is accountable for achieving what it sets out to do.
As a faculty member : Accreditation provides a formal process for ongoing evaluation and improvement of your program and faculty development outcomes, a process by which faculty, students and administration can work together in advancing the educational institution's mission.
As a psychologist : Accreditation provides a forum in which educators and practitioners of psychology can exchange ideas on future needs of the profession and ways in which to best address these needs in professional education and training.
As a member of the public : Accreditation ensures public accountability of a program or an institution -- that it has the means and demonstrates the outcomes for its educational process that are consistent with its goals and objectives.
QEC Resource Guide
- HEC Quality Assurance Agency
- International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education
- European Association for Quality Assurance for Higher Education
- Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education, UK
- Centre of Management Quality Research, RMIT University
- National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC)
- Higher Education Institution Accreditation Council, Jordon
- National Business Education Accreditation Council (NBEAC)
- National Computing Education Accreditation Council (NCEAC)
- Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC)
- National ICT R&D Fund
- ICSICCST 2013
- Asia Pacific Quality Network (APQN)
- Association of Quality Assurance Agencies of the Islamic World (QA-Islamic)
- Talloires Network
- Research Center for Training and Developments (RCTD)
- Japan University Accreditation Association (JUAA)
- The Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency
- National Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (NACTE)
- Quality & Productivity Society of Pakistan (QPSP)
- Global Compact Network Pakistan
- ISO 9001 Quality Management
- Association of Management Development Institutions in South Asia (AMDISA)
- Advancing Quality Management Education Worldwide
1. Title : "Director QEC and team participated in “National Workshop on Bloom’s Taxonomy at Institute of Business & Technology"" at IBT on 6th June 2016"View Pictures
2. Title : Director QEC participated and contributed in "2016 APQN Conference & AGM Sustainable Development of Quality Assurance in Higher Education" in Fiji on 26th and 27th May 2016.View Pictures
3. Title : Members of QEC of Indus University participated in a Seminar on "Using Blue Ocean Strategy & Balance Score Card in Higher Education" at IoBM on 12th May 2016View Pictures
4. Title : QEC team participated in “One Day Workshop on Six Sigma in Higher Education" at Iqra University on 18th April 2016.View Pictures
5. Title : "Director QEC of Indus University conducted Session on “Preparation of Program Self-Assessment Report (SAR)” On a prime focus on Criterion 7 : Institutional Facilities, at DOW University on 14th April 2016.View Pictures
6. Title : Director QEC, Management and Staff of Indus University participated in “Video Conference Session by HEC on “Educational Testing Council" at Indus University on 15th April 2016.View Pictures
7. Title : Director QEC participated in a workshop on “Preparing Self-Assessment Report & Quality Assurance Plan for Higher Education Institutions" at Usman Institute of Technology on 6th April 2016View Pictures
8. Title : Members of QEC Team and Management attended World Quality Day Seminar “ Video Con” session by Virtual University, Islamabad, at the Indus University on 5th April 2016.View Pictures
9. Title : Director QEC conducted “Awareness Session on How to do Teacher & Student Course Evaluation" at the Indus University on 15th March 2016.View Pictures
10. Title : Director QEC participated in HEC's 10th Quarterly Meeting and workshop on Bloom’s Taxonomy arranged by HEC at Hotel Grand Regency, Islamabad on 9th and 10th March 2016View Pictures